whimsy

whimsy

Tuesday 16 April 2013

sycamore seed dragonflies

I'm enjoying our new blog name. Part of the reason for change was I'd hoped the word whimsy would encourage me to be even more open minded and find creative opportunities in more unlikely places - like these annoying little seeds that are all over our back lawn. I do like watching them spin when they fall from the tree though, so do the kids. Nature is pretty awesome.

We collected some of them up to make these dragonflies.

One day I might have one of those sleek and fancy stainless steel fridges (you now, the type with the cool thing in the door that makes ice!) but in the meantime our fridge looks like millions of others around the world- plastered with kids art, bills, reminders, invitations, lists and all sorts of magnets- and now some pretty dragonfly ones.

we cut the seed part off and painted the 'wing' bit
and painted some thin sticks
when they were dry, we added a coat of glitter paint

and I glued them onto strips of magnet using beads for eyes

6 comments:

  1. They are awesome Becky! Love the new name and new drive. And am gutted I missed out on meeting you! next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leonie and I feel the same. I'm all in for the next conference so next time it is : )

      Delete
  2. they look fantastic - do link in to BMWB if you want to. You do the best stuff with your littlies x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you and just done so love your BMWB post- we're bookworms too :)

      Delete
  3. These look awesome! Such a cool idea to try out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look amazing, make Nana some too please!!

    ReplyDelete