whimsy

whimsy

Monday 28 January 2013

diy chalk

I read a recipe for diy chalk recently. I know chalk is inexpensive to buy. I just wanted to have the kids make it themselves and colour it. I read that the colours can be made to be more vivid when making your own too. 

It's just a cup of plaster of paris, a cup of water and some food colouring or powder paint. We used food colouring. For molds we used toilet paper rolls (with glad wrap and masking tape at one end) and a styrofoam cup. We mixed the plaster of paris up in the cut off bases of fizzy drink bottles and used ice block sticks as stirrers.

Some of the colours were definately more vivid and the mixture was softer than chalk and felt more like drawing with an oil pastel. Some of ours were a bit messy because the food colouring sunk to the bottom, the kids used a paper towel to draw with those.









4 comments:

  1. Those colours look great - something I'm keep to have a go at here too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is great, well done M & T!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! where do you buy the plaster of paris?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the plaster of Paris off trade me Miriam, but I would think places like Bunnings or Placemakers sell it. It's fun stuff- did you see what we did with it at the beach?

    ReplyDelete