whimsy

whimsy

Tuesday 14 August 2012

children's books

 “You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be -
I have a mother who read to me.”
Strickland W. Gillilan


This post is for those who like to read to kids or give books as gifts.

I love reading to our kids and I like to see what others are reading too. Often if I come across a list of enjoyed kid's books I'll write the titles and authors down and look them up when I'm next at the library ( or, if it's a grown up book, I'll put it on my 'to read' list on http://www.goodreads.com) I think I'm sorted for book ideas for the nest 2 years!

We buy lots from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk and from http://www.scholastic.co.nz catalogues when I know I'm going to be at ( or near) a school for a while.

I choose children's books for lots of reasons. Some I remember from my own childhood, I like classic stories I feel that they should know, I'll choose books by authors that I know are great and funny stories that I think will make us laugh. I like books that have a nice rhythm or rhyme for reading out loud and stories that will teach them something. I'm also drawn to beautiful illustrations.

Some of these are ours and some are favourites that we keep getting out from the library. Our kids are 3 and 4.

My mum and Dad make me laugh by Nick Sharratt-this has a fun twist at the end. There's lots of high frequency words in this book so it's great for early readers
Willbee the Bumblebee by C Smith and M Thomson-gorgeous silliness. We like to play the cd that comes with it as it has cool sound effects.
The Nickle Nackle tree by Lynley Dodd- a favourite, especially when they were smaller, it has a lovely pattern and rhyme

The Tiger Who Came to Tea written and illustrated by Judith Kerr- love this one because it's just silly and heartwarming

Houdini the disappearing Hamster by Terence Blacker- you have to look for the little hamster hiding on each page- I wish you could get hamsters in NZ!
Welcome to the Zoo by Alison Jay- no text but beautiful detailed images our kids love and you can follow different characters through the book to see what they get up to
1001 Things to Spot Long Ago by Usbourne books- I have found T asleep with this one on his chest
The Doll's house Fairy by Jane Hay- a library favourite about a fairy that moves into a little girl's doll's house while her dad is sick in hospital
The Best Loved Bear by Diana Noonan- this one has a reassuring message.
Fairy Tales told by Berlie Doherty, iluustrated by Jane Ray- the pictures in this are gorgeous and it cost me 50c at a fair!
Dougal the Digger by Benedict Blathwayt- A heartwarming story with a page of lift the flaps fun

Dinosaurs Love UNderpants by C Freedman and B Cort- a silly, fun story with real dinosaur names and gorgeous colourful images


No comments:

Post a Comment