whimsy

whimsy

Saturday 24 November 2012

candles

A few months ago when we were in Wellington my mum gave me a huge hunk of wax. I'm not sure where she got it but I threw it into my suitcase and it's been sitting here waiting to be used since. 

I love junk and op shops and went to a few yesterday ( and a neighbour's garage sale today) and got some glasses and odd china cups to make candles. I bought the wicks off trade me. It was easier than I'd thought it it would be. I melted the lumps of wax using an old pot in a double boiler set up. The melted wax poured easily and chop sticks came in handy to prop up the wicks so that they stayed in the middle. Some are for the table on Christmas Day and others we'll wrap up as gifts. 

Next time we might buy some dying chips and colour the wax- but I liked them white this time. The last picture is the candle I've kept for me, it was a birthday gift from a friend a few years ago and the saucer was broken in one of the EQs.





starting to set
double boiler


pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment